Okay it is really not junk.
1. Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day everyone. I think it is fitting to have Barack Obama go in to office the day after Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I must say I supported John McCain, but we must congratulate Mr. Obama on his historical achievement. We also must support him on being the next president of the U.S.A. So congrats Mr. Obama I hope you do well.
2. The teams for the Super Bowl are set. Yesterday the Arizona Cardinals upset the Philadelphia Eagles 32-25. The Cardinals were 9-7 in the regular season while the Eagles were 9-6-1. My Patriots were 11-5 and didn’t make the playoffs. The other team that got in was the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers beat the Baltimore Ravens 23-14. A while back I said the Steelers would beat the Giants in the Super Bowl. I still think the Steelers will win it all. I can’t wait for the Super Bowl and the commercials!
3. The Chicago Cubs traded outfielder, Felix Pie to the Orioles. In exchange the Cubs got Garrett Olson and prospect Henry Williamson. I think the Orioles got the better of the deal. Last season Pie hit .241, with one home run, ten RBI’s, and stole three bases. Olson had a record of nine-ten, with a 6.65 ERA, and 83 strike outs. Williamson in A ball had a record of zero-one, an ERA of 3.72, with three saves, and 42 strikeouts. Olson could compete with Sean Marshall for the fifth spot in the rotation.
4. The World Baseball Classic Rosters will be announced this evening. Some players who will play for team U.S.A. are Dustin Pedroia, Derek Jeter, Roy Oswalt, Jake Peavy, Brad Hawpe, Grady Sizemore, Ryan Braun, and David Wright. For team Canada Justin Morneau will play. I think Jason Bay will play for team Canada too. For team Dominican Republic Alex Rodriguez will play and David Ortiz will try to play. For team Japan Dice-K and Ichiro will play. The classic looks like a good one. I think team U.S.A. will win though.
5. Today in the NBA America will find out who will be the forth dunker in the 2009 Sprite Slam Dunk challenge. For the first time ever America got to vote for who should be the forth dunker, Joe Alexander, Rudy Fernandez, or Russell Westbrook. I voted for Russell Westbrook because I think Alexander needs to work on just being a better player than a better dunker. Fernandez plays on the Portland Trail Blazers and I don’t like the Trail Blazers that much. Another reason I voted for Westbrook is because the team he plays on, the Oklahoma City Thunder, as of January 19th has a record of eight-34. I think it could make the Oklahoma City Thunder feel a lot better. The winner will face off against Rudy Gay, Nate Robinson, and defending dunk champion “Superman” Dwight Howard.
Yesterday was a slow news day, but MLB Network did show the 2004 World Series along with part one of five Red Sox memories.
The Pittsburgh Steelers will win the Super Bowl. They have lock down defense and defense beats offense (most of the time). If the don’t get Big Ben then well they will lose in the first game. Here is my bracket.
Colts- The Colts will beat the Chargers because Peyton Manning is riding high after winning MVP and they will beat the Titans because the Titans don’t have that quarterback that can handle Peyton Manning. They will lose to the Steelers because defense beats offense most of the time.
Chargers- The Chargers shouldn’t even be in the playoffs.An eight and eight team shouldn’t even be in the playoffs. LT is great and same thing with Rivers but an eight and eight team shouldn’t be in the playoffs.
Titans- I still don’t think the Titans are real. They don’t have a pro bowl QB like the Colts which in the playoffs you have to have a great QB to survive.
Steelers- The Steelers have one of the best defenses ever thats right ever. They have Big Ben at QB which also helps. If Big Ben is out his back up isn’t that bad, but then the Steelers will lose to the Colts.
Dolphins- The Dolphins are young and haven’t been in the playoffs much. They don’t have enough experience to be a real contender in the playoffs but hey look at the Tampa Bay Rays. The Dolphins had the easiest schedule in the NFL, because they did so badly last year.
Ravens- Baltimore has Michael Phelps, the Ravens, and some really bad teams. The Ravens have a great defense just not as good as Pittsburgh. Look for Ray Lewis to have a big game against the Dolphins and the Steelers. In the game against the Steelers it will come down to offense.
Cardinals- The Cardinals are pretty good. They have a .563 winning percentage. They shouldn’t be in while Tampa Bay, Chicago, Cowboys, and the Jets have the same record and play in a harder division and the Patriots have a better record and blew out the Cardinals when they played them. Kurt Warner has to have a big game if they want to beat Matt Ryan.
Falcons- Matt Ryan is the next hall of fame quarterback. When the Falcons lost Vick it looked like they where going to need a few years. When they started Ryan it was a huge gamble that payed off. Ryan needs a HUGE game to upset the Giants though.
Giants- Eli is no long Peyton’s little brother, Eli is Peyton’s little brother. (Okay maybe that’s a little far.) The Giants have a great offense and have been here before. They have a good punter and a good kicker along with a pretty good defense.
Panthers- The Panthers are the most over rated team in the NFL. They will get “upset” by the Eagles. If they don’t want to get upset then they need to have a huge game from Steve Smith, the Pro Bowl Wide Receiver.
Vikings- Minnesota is like Baltimore. They have a good baseball and football team while they have a bad basketball and hockey team. The Vikings will get upset by the Eagles. If they want to avoid getting upset then they will need to have a big game from Adrian Peterson and great defense from Jared Allen.
Eagles- The 2008-2009 Eagles are last years 2007-2008 Giants, unless they face the New York Giants. The Eagles are the hottest team in the NFL. They have a good QB being Donovan McNabb and pretty good defense.
Happy New Year’s eve. On the last day of 2008 I thought I would look back at the year of baseball.
5-The Red Sox Come back Against the Rays
This game the Red Sox trailed by seven runs and then came back to win. J.D. Drew hit a walk off ground rule “single” to win the game for the Red Sox. He had hit a two run home run to bring the Red Sox within two with one out in the bottom of the eighth. This game forced game six where the Red Sox won that game and then lost to the Rays in game seven sending Tampa bay to the World Series.
4- Yankee Stadium Goes Away
I’m a Red Sox fan, but this was a little sad. Think of all the memories the Red Sox have had at Yankee Stadium, good and bad. Remember trailing three games to zero and then winning the World Series and breaking the curse in 2004? Do you remember Aaron Boone’s home run? Babe Ruth hit the first home run and Jose Molina’s hit the last home run at Yankee Stadium. I don’t get though if it’s so great then why didn’t they try to turn it in to a museum?
3-Josh Hamilton’s Home Run Derby
This was the last great Yankee Stadium moment. Josh Hamilton, who overcame drug addiction hit a record 28 home runs in the first round and three over 500 feet, the crowd even started chanting Hamilton’s name. Hamilton lost though to Twins first baseman Justin Morneau in the finals, in a derby that didn’t have a Yankee, Red Sox, Cub, Dodger, Angel, Cardinal, A’s, or Met. This was Yankee stadiums final WOW moment.
2-Jon Lester’s No Hitter
This was an inspiration to many people, kids, parents, and athletes. Lester came back from cancer to win game four of the World Series, throw a no hitter and other amazing things. He struck out ten and walked just two throwing a no hitter against the Royals. I remember turning on my laptop and seeing that he was six outs away. I went to a TV and watched the rest of the game. This was a great moment for anyone Red Sox, Yankee, Met, Dodger, Angle, and Royal who he threw the no hitter against.
1-Phillies Win It All
This was the Phillies first title since 1980. Brad Lidge was perfect when he droped to his knees and screamed. This was a team you couldn’t count out till it was over. It put Philadelphia back on the sports map. They beat a team of rookies, who made it all the way here, beating the Red Sox and Yankees. Hey Phillies fans you might get to party even more because some say the Eagles could win the super bowl.
Roco Baldelli returns to the majors
Junior hits 600
Manny hits 500
Ryan Braun sends the Brewers to the playoffs
Big Z’s no hitter